I had a situation where a vmware server host was moved but the IP address was not changed. This was corrected but when it came time to check the VM guests; the web client gave an error off with “503 Service Unavailable.”

DNS was correct. The address pinged. But, the client still could not connect. The net offered a few suggestions but nothing of an “ah ha!” moment.

I checked the host one more time and noticed not all of the vmware processes were up. I decided to kill the remaining processes but found a couple would not stop. I rebooted the host and the same thing happened again. Something was very wrong with the web aspects of vmserver.

I checked the logs but no errors.

On a whim; I looked at /etc/resolv.conf and found it had two different DNS servers. I changed the configuration to the correct DNS servers, rebooted and the client could connect.

 

 

 

Advertisements