Category: troubleshoting



Our new Xendesktop setup solved a few problems and of course introduced new ones.

A user asked the question of how to get gnome to load .Xdefaults automatically as it was not working.

Old software tends to evolve.  Such was the case with Genome.  It now favors .Xresources now.  A quick link and the problem was solved.

ln -s .Xdefaults .Xresources
Advertisements

A brand new XenServer pool in an external office had an interesting problem. Two hosts were added to the pool and yet they could not access two mounts on a NetApp filer.

A repair of the SR would give an error message:

There was an error while attempting to mount the NFS share.

Three other XenServer hosts had no issues.

Checked all the obvious and yet they would not repair. I considered a reload but how would that solve it?

Tried using the mount command to mount one of the shares to a directory and received an error that the server rejected the request.

I mentioned this to the administrator who owned the filer and it turns out he likes to use host lists to control access.

He added the hosts to the list and I was able to repair the SRs.

 


There was an odd issue with one of my xenserver pools.  I looked at xencenter and found the following as offline pool SRs:

DVD drives
Local storage
Removable storage

Rather strange and I was too busy to review the log files for errors. I wasn’t sure when those appeared and of course nobody knew anything.

How to get rid of them?

Trying the GUI had no options to remove them.  Time for the command line.

Right-Clicking an entry and selecting properties, I copied the UUID.

I opened a shell and entered:

xe sr-forget uuid=<pasting the UUID>

Repeated two more times and the entries disappeared.

Back to regular work……


We were installing fiber Nics and somebody tried to assign the management interface IP on one of the new ports. The result of course was an IP conflict and system went offline.

In the Linux world, you simply access the console, change a couple entries in files and reboot.

Such is not the case with Xenserver.  I tried to simply reassign the management interface, but it did not work. I decided to use the XE commands to remove the IP from the offending port (in this case it was xenbr1).

Locate the UUID by entering : xe pif-list

Drop the IP information by entering : xe pif-reconfigure-ip mode=none uuid=<big string>

One nice feature of Xenserver in this matter is you can tab out parameters and the UUID info after enter a few characters.

The system did need a reboot.


I had a case where I was building an image for windows 2008. The host uses 10 GB NICs and for some reason, they were not recognized.

I would add them to the configuration, reboot and nothing happened. I installed Xentools and nothing happened. Thinking it might be the age old driver issue but I did not find any on the vendor site. Setup issue?

To get around this “feature;” you have to delete all NICs and then add the one you want.

A quick reboot and the network was available.

 


There was a “secret” movement of server equipment in our hardened site. I call it secret since notification of this plan was minimal. One of servers hit was a VMware ESXI host which happened to have two important VMs.

After the host was restored to the network with a new IP; I was surprised with this message when I tried to connect to it:

The VMRC console has disconnected.. attempting to reconnect

I tried a few things but nothing worked. This ESXI host was running version 5.0 and I remembered having an error message when trying to the VMware client wanted to update.

Due to the critical nature of the VMs; I did not have enough time to debug the issue. I ended up using another server and installed the VMware client from this host (ie http:/esxi host).

After that; I was able to connect to the host, power up the VMs and apply IP changes.